Lately, I get a lot of messages from friends asking me how to change my name on Skype. I bet that you too, if you are here and are reading this post, are interested in the topic, but I must tell you right away: Skype does not allow you to change your username, as it does other similar services. It allows you to change only the name that is displayed in searches and in the address book of friends, who, in turn, can change it as they prefer to assign us personalized “nicknames” (visible only on their devices).
However, even if you have come to this tutorial with the intention of changing your Skype username, do not give up and continue reading, because in the second part of the guide I will provide you with some alternative solutions to be able to complete this operation, although it is not possible with “conventional” methods, if we can define them that way.
Since I can already hear you “pawing”, I would say not to get lost in chatter further and get straight to the point. Come on: make yourself comfortable, take all the time you need to concentrate on reading the next paragraphs and, more importantly, implement the “tips” that I will give you. I am sure that, thanks to my suggestions, you will have clearer ideas on how to move to change the name on Skype. Enjoy the reading. Also check- How to Change Instagram Emails
How to change your public name on Skype
Do you want to change your public name on Skype, which is the name other users see? I guarantee you that this is such a simple operation to perform, that in reality there would be no need to give you so many explanations. Let’s see how to proceed both on computers and on smartphones and tablets.
If you intend to act from your computer, you can change your name on Skype without creating a new account, acting directly from your profile settings, which are accessible via the web or directly from the Skype client for Windows and macOS. Find everything explained below.
- From Skype for Windows – start the Skype client, log in to your account (if necessary), press the profile photo in the upper left corner of the main program window and select Manage account. On the Web page that opens, presses on your name of the current profile (if you need to log in to your account again, do it), click on the Edit profile button at the top right, change the name and surname using the appropriate fields of text placed on the left and then click on the green Save button at the top right.
- From Skype for macOS – start the Skype client, log in to your account (if necessary), click on the profile photo located in the upper left corner of the main program window and press the pencil icon find under current profile name. Then change the name and surname using the name you prefer and press the symbol (✓) to confirm the change made.
- From Skype Web – connect to the Skype Web login page, log in to your account (if necessary), click on your profile photo located in the top left corner of the main page of the service and then click on the Manage account link, located at the bottom. Then click on your current profile name, press the Edit profile button at the top right, change the name and surname using the appropriate text fields (located on the left of the page) and then press the green Save button, which is positioned at the top right.
Done! From now on, anyone who searches for or adds you on Skype will see you with the name you just set up. It wasn’t that hard to change the public name on Skype, was it?
Smartphones and tablets
Do you use Skype mostly from your smartphone or tablet? No problem. The public name of the account can also be changed from there: let’s see immediately how to proceed on both Android and iOS, using the official Skype app.
- If you are using an Android terminal, start the Skype application, log in to your account (if required), tap on your profile photo located at the top, press the pencil icon located next to the name of the current profile, type the name you want to publicly use on Skype and press the check button (✓) to save the changes you just made.
- If you are using an iOS device, start the official Skype app, log in to your account (if necessary), press on your profile photo located at the top, tap on the pencil icon located next to the name of the current profile, type in the name you want to publicly use on Skype and press the check button (✓) to save the changes made to your account.
How to change username on Skype
As I told you in the introduction of the article, the only solution to change the username on Skype (and not simply the name of the profile displayed by your contacts), is to create a new account, even if it is a procedure in some ways counterproductive, as it causes the loss of all contacts and all credit for calls. Furthermore, if you linked your Skype account to your Microsoft account, the latter would also be deleted.
If you still want to switch accounts by creating a new one, let me tell you how to proceed. To create a new Skype account, all you have to do is connect to this page, indicate the telephone number or email address with which to register (which will then be used as a username), indicate your name and surname and provide your date of birth.
Then, enter the code that was delivered to you via SMS or email (depending on how you decided to register), follow the instructions that appear on the screen in relation to entering the captcha code and you’re done. At the end of the procedure you will be ready to start using your new Skype account attached to your new username (ie the email or mobile number you registered with). If any steps are not clear to you and you want to have some more information on how to create a Skype account, please consult the guide I have already published on the subject.
One last recommendation: if you decide to make this drastic move, remember first to change the public name on the “old” Skype account before creating a new one and then deleting it (unless you want to continue using it as and account “secondary”). If you want more information on how to add Skype contacts and how to access Skype with another account, instead, I suggest you read the guides I have already published on my blog about these topics. If you want to find more information regarding the change of username on Skype, please consult this page on the official forum of the service.